Murray StieberTel: 416.594.4675 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Murray takes a pragmatic, client-focused and results-oriented approach to his practice. He excels as a problem-solver, resolving matters in an efficient and effective manner.
MURRAY STIEBER is the Managing Partner of Stieber Berlach and has over two decades of broad-based litigation experience. Having started his career at the Crown Attorney’s Office before moving into civil practice, Murray has extensive trial experience and has represented clients at all levels of court in Ontario. Murray has also acted for clients in the provinces of British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, Newfoundland and New Brunswick.
Murray regularly acts on behalf of clients on a wide array of regulatory matters including appearances at the Ontario Securities Commission, CPA Ontario and Professional Engineers Ontario.
Murray practices in a wide variety of practice areas, with an emphasis on insurance coverage, professional liability, Directors and Officers liability, environmental liability and construction-related liability. Murray frequently acts for insurers in highly complex and contentious coverage matters.
Murray takes a very pragmatic, client-focused and results-oriented approach to his practice. He excels as a problem-solver, always looking to resolve matters for his clients in an efficient and effective manner.
- Acting for various insurers in complex coverage matters including the provision of coverage opinions, acting as monitoring counsel and acting in coverage-related litigation
- Regularly acts for one of Canada’s largest insurance brokerages on a wide variety of brokers’ errors and omissions claims
- Successfully defended the County of Oxford and the City of Woodstock at trial and appeal in relation to the expropriation of the former Blandford Square in order to enable the construction of a Toyota Plant in Woodstock. Vincorp Financial Ltd. v. Oxford (County), 2014 ONCA 876
- Successfully defended Aviva in an insurance coverage application involving issues of waiver and estoppel and relief from forfeiture. The matter is currently before the Court of Appeal. CRD v. Aviva, 2021 ONSC 1109
- Successfully defended a metal products manufacturer in relation to charges under the Occupational Health and Safety Act arising from a workplace injury. v. ABS Machining, 2015 ONCJ 213
- Successfully defended a warehouse owner on charges under the Fire Code arising out of a huge warehouse fire. Also defended in excess of 25 civil claims relating to the fire. City of Mississauga v. GE Forwarders Warehouse Ltd. and 2358034 Ontario Ltd., unreported
- Acting on behalf of a mutual funds salesperson at a Merits Hearing before the Ontario Securities Commission
- Successfully defended the City of North Bay in an Application for Judicial Review before the Divisional Court relating to the award of a contract for the supply and installation of water meters. Mastermeter Products Canada Inc. v. Corporation of the City of North Bay, 2012 ONSC 1887
- Successfully represented third party insurance broker/brokerage at lengthy trial arising from significant fire loss. Horti-Pak Inc. v. Nikko Materials U.S.A. Inc. (c.o.b. Gould Electronics),  O.J. No. 3404
- Successfully defended an appraiser in a certification motion under the Class Proceedings Act, as well as the subsequent appeal. Barkley v. Tier 1 Capital Management Inc., 2019 ONCA 54
- Successfully defended a series of insurers in a coverage application involving questions of what constitutes property damage under a Management Liability Policy and the application of section 132 of the Insurance Act. Lloyd Benedict v. Continental Casualty Company, 2016 ONSC 7205
- Responding to Environmental Claims, with Iain Peck and Katherine Aukema, Client Seminar, 2013
- Coverage Issues, Client Presentation, 2014
- Municipal Practice Management: Competency and the Municipal Lawyer, with Elizabeth Bowker and Iain Peck, Client Presentation, 2014
- Legal Update: Summary Judgment Motions and Experts, 2015
- Insurance Broker’s Liability, Client Presentation, 2015
- Excess and Umbrella Insurance, with Iain Peck, Client Presentation, 2016
- Thorco: What Does the Court of Appeal Decision Mean to Pollution Cases?, with Linda Phillips-Smith, Client Presentation, 2016
- Issues in Insurance Broker’s Liability Claims, with Elizabeth Bowker, Client Presentation, 2016
- Relief from Forfeiture: No Harm No Foul, Client Seminar Presentation, 2016
- Coverage Issues – Environmental Law, Client Presentation, 2017
- Punitive Damages: Coverage Issues & Applicability in Certain Tort Claims, Client Presentation, 2017
- Relief from Forfeiture, 2017
- Coverage and Litigation Seminar, with Nicola Brankley, Client Lunch and Learn Coverage Presentation, 2018
- Insurance Broker’s Liability Seminar, RIBO-accredited event, 2018
- Primer on Coverage and Bad Faith, with Alanna Brogan, Client Presentation, 2018
- Serving Alcohol: The Evolving Law, with Chris Afonso, Stieber Berlach Client Seminar, 2019
- Professional Services: Understanding CGL and E&O Coverage, with Elizabeth Bowker, Client Presentation, 2019
- “No Harm No Foul: Developments in Relief from Forfeiture,” 2016
- “Punitive Damages: Coverage Issues & Applicability in Certain Tort Claims,” 2017
- “Serving Alcohol: The Evolving Law,” 2019