FRANK CSATHY has more than three decades of experience in a broad spectrum of insurance-related litigation. He began his career primarily handling personal injury and insurance coverage files. During this time, he developed a strong background in auto liability and auto policy and homeowners policy coverage issues. He subsequently moved to a practice involving mostly professional liability defence, municipal liability defence and property damage claims. Today Frank practices in all of these areas, as well as defending matters arising from environmental liability and fraud claims.
Frank has extensive experience representing his clients in all levels of court in Ontario, as well as administrative tribunals and private arbitrations.
Frank speaks regularly at continuing legal education seminars and industry educational workshops.
- Represented a liability insurer who was found not liable under the Environmental Protection Act for remediation costs paid by the insurer of an at-fault polluter. Intact Insurance Company v Zurich Insurance Company 2022 ONCA 485.
- Represented a home insurer in case involving the “Innocent Insured Exclusion” and a fire loss caused by drug refining operations. Lin v. Wang 2022 ONCA 367
- Represented respondent hospitals and nurses in an appeal of a motion to enforce settlement. Maraschiello-Basnett v. Ku, 2013 ONCA 185
- Represented respondent building inspector on appeal from a trial decision allocating liability as between real estate agent and inspector for building defects. Halliwell v. Lazarus, 2012 ONCA 348
- Represented respondent insurance broker in appeal from trial decision dismissing action for uninsured damages arising from fire loss. Sabbah v. Wawanesa Mutual Insurance et. al., 2004 CanLII42924 (ONCA)
- Represented respondent lab technician in appeal from Divisional Court ruling certifying medical negligence class action. Anderson v. Wilson, 1999 CanLII 3753 (ONCA)
- Represented respondent insurer in appeal of summary judgment motion dismissing claim on coverage issue. Rose v. Beaven, 1998 CanLII 17749 (ONCA)
- Represented defendants in appeal of judge’s order dismissing action for delay. Servello v. CTG Inc., 1995 CanLII 1376 (ONCA)
- Represented conservation authority appealing a motion for judgment on liability claims against it. Ansah v. H & R Property Management, 2008 CanLII 31351 (ONSCDC)
- Represented police force as appellant on motion regarding scope of discovery. C.L. v. Ontario, 2004 CanLII 14107 (ONSC)
- Represented boat operator in maritime action as appellant on an appeal from an order regarding forum conveniens in Manitoba boating accident. May v. Greenwood, 1991 CanLII 8326 (ONSC)
- Represented a home insurer on a summary judgment motion for coverage on negligent entrustment allegations where the insured passenger was the renter of the vehicle involved in the accident. Ayuk v Mallett and Waters 2022 ONSC 4416
Frank has acted as lead counsel in many unreported jury trials. He also has reported trial decisions representing defendant auto drivers, insurers, municipalities and professionals. In addition to his work in the courts, Frank has several reported decisions from the Ontario Workplace Safety and Insurance Appeals Tribunal.
Frank has spoken on coverage and trial practice in developing areas of law to The Canadian Bar Association, The Canadian Institute, Professional Association Seminars, and insurance companies.